Translate

sábado, 12 de dezembro de 2015

The Prophet's Book JONAS

And word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying:
  Arise, go to Nineveh, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
  But Jonah rose up to flee the presence of the LORD to Tarshish. And down to Joppa, he found a ship going to Tarshish; paid therefore its passage, and went down into it, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the presence of the Lord.
  But the Lord sent a great wind into the sea, and there was a heavy storm at sea, and the ship was about to quebrar-se.no ship, to lighten its weight; But Jonah had gone down into the hold of the ship, and he lay, and was fast asleep.
 And the shipmaster came up to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, sleeper? Arise, call upon thy God; so maybe he will think upon us that we perish not.
  And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. And they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah.
  Then they told him: Declare unto us pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us. What is your occupation? Where have you come? What do you land? And what people art thou?
  He said to them: I am a Hebrew, and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.
  Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him, Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of Yahweh, because he had told them.
  And they said unto him, What shall we thee, that the sea may be calm? Because the sea was becoming increasingly stormy.
  And he said unto them, Take me up and throw me into the sea, and the sea be calm unto you: because I know that for my sake this great tempest you.
  However, the men rowed, to turn the ship to land, but they could not: for the sea grew embravecendo increasingly against them.
  They cried unto the LORD, and said, Oh, Lord! We beseech thee, that not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood; for thou, LORD, hast done as it pleased thee.
  So they took up Jonah, and cast him into the sea, and the sea ceased from its fúria.16 feared, for these men to the Lord with great fear; and offered sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows.
  He has therefore prepared the Lord prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah; And Jonah was three days and three nights in the fish's belly.

  Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God out of the fish's belly.
  And I said: In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me; the belly of hell cried I, and you heard my voice.
  For thou hast cast me into the deep, in the heart of the seas, and the floods surrounded me; all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.
  And I said, I am cast out of thy sight; but I will look again toward thy holy temple.
  The waters surrounded me to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the land ended me forever with her bars; but you brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.
  When fainted within me my soul, I remembered the LORD; and came in unto thee I pray in your holy temple.
  They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
  But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; which voted pay. The Lord is salvation. Spake the Lord to fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.
  LORD came unto the word Jonah the second time, saying:
  Arise, and go to Nineveh and preach against it the message that I tell you.
 And Jonas arose, and went to Nineveh according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey. And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried and said: Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
  So the people of Nineveh believed God; and proclaimed a fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the smallest.
  This word came unto the king of Nineveh; and he rose from his throne, and took his garments, and covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
  And it caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the king and his lords decree, saying, Let neither man nor beast, neither cattle nor sheep, taste any thing, nor let them not feed, nor drink water;
  But man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily to God, and let them turn every one from his evil way and from the violence that is in their hands.
  Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and make the turn from his fierce anger, so that we perish not?
  And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil which he announced would do to them, and did not.

  BUT it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry.
  And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, Ah! MR! It was not this my saying, still in my country? That's why I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and of great kindness, and repentest from evil.
  I pray thee, O LORD, take my life, because it is better for me to die than to live.
  And the Lord said: You do well to be angry as well?
  So Jonah went out of the city, and sat on the east; and there made him a booth, and sat under it in the shade, to see what would happen to the city.
  And did the LORD God prepared a gourd, and it come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief; and Jonas was exceeding glad for the gourd.
  But God prepared a worm, the day after ascending of the dawn, which smote the gourd, and it withered.
  It happened, when the sun arose, God prepared a sultry east wind, and the sun struck the head of Jonas; and he fainted, and wished with all his soul to die, saying, is better for me to die than to live.
  God said to Jonah: You do well to be angry for the gourd? And I said, I do well to be angry to death.
 And the LORD said, thou hast had pity on the gourd, which not labored, neither didst grow, which was born in a night and perished in a night;
  And should not I have compassion on Nineveh where they are over one hundred and twenty thousand men that can not discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

Nenhum comentário: